This knife is a special design ordered from Tanaka, with an amazing grind carried out by Kyuzo. Taller and much flatter in profile it is very thin behind the edge and (unsurprisingly) cuts extremely well. Completed with a Yakusugi Cedar handle these knives are likely to not be available for some time once sold. Just 3 are available.
- Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo Japanese Knife
- 180mm Nakiri Knife
- Kaku Style (Sharp Tip)
- Tanaka Blacksmith
- Kyuzo Sharpener
- Taihei Handle
- Aogami (Blue) #1, Soft Iron Clad
- Handle Choice (Select Above):
- Ebony & Buffalo
- Yakusugi Cedar & Buffalo
- Hand-Crafted in Japan
- 167mm Blade Edge Length / 318mm Overall Length / 2.6mm Blade Thickness / 59mm Blade Height / 184g
* High carbon chef knives will change colour (patina) over time, some care is required to prevent surface rust.
Japanese Kitchen Knife | Nakiri (Vegetable Knife)
Nakiri knives have a flat profile and tall blade height which aids in push chopping but does make rock style cutting a little uncomfortable. The Nakiri, like many western style chef knives has a double bevel grind, in contrast to the Japanese style vegetable knife, the Usuba, which is single bevel. Whilst a Gyuto or Santoku does do a good job at cutting vegetables, the larger flat bottom of a Nakiri or Usuba make the task much easier. The Nakiri is one of our favourite profiles, highly recommended.