Generally we recommend synthetic whetstones for the lower (rougher) grits, this however is an exception. After testing these for in-store sharpening for the last 3 months we've been amazed at the quality. So much so we bought every one Imanishi had.
These stones are amazing value, outlasting 3-6 synthetics of similar grit. We've been using for chip repair, thinning and a bevel set. Grit does vary being natural, and it will get finer as you work the (sticky) slurry but we are using in place of 400-800 grit stones.
A short soak is recommended but don't leave permanently in water. saying that we did leave one in water to test and it held up better than any rough natural we've used in the past. Flattening may be required on arrival.
- Imanishi Natural Whetstone
- Omura Rough Stone
- Mined in Kyusyu, Japan
- Whetstone Size: From circa 227 x 92 x 62mm to circa 240 x 103 x 72mm
- Whetstone Weight: From circa 2.5kg to circa 3.9kgs
- Rough Sawn: Flattening may be required on arrival
- Professional Sharpening Stone / Whetstone