These beautifully crafted Japanese cuttings boards are hand made from the rare (and sustainably sourced) Aomori Hiba timber, widely considered to be superior for use with Japanese kitchen knives.
A highly prized and admired timber in Japan, Aomori Hiba has been used for thousands of years to build shrines and temples. This old and stable timber has a very tight grain structure and naturally exhibits anti-mold and anti-bacterial properties. It can take up to 300 years for an aomori hiba tree to reach just 700 mm in diameter, these trees are not milled lightly however, they are highly protected and only come from forests which have been sustainably managed for over 600 years.
This timber does have a strong scent initially, this will dissipate over time and in our experience does not flavour food.
- Hitohira Aomori Hiba Japanese Cutting Board
- Size: Large - 480 x 235 x 30 mm
- Sustainably Sourced Stable Timber w/ Tight Grain
- Natural Anti-Mold & Anti-Bacterial Properties
- Ideal for Japanese Kitchen Knives
- Hand-Crafted (and grown) in Japan
* These cutting boards are 100% real timber, variation to grain pattern and colouring is expected. As they are hand-crafted, small variation to size may also occur.
* Aomori Hiba timber initially has a strong timber scent (not unpleasant), this will dissipate over time and should not affect flavouring.