moriheiThis smaller Aoto stone yields a lovely polish. The perfect mid level step for kasumi.
- Tanaka Toishi Natural Stone
- Aoto Whetstone
- Medium Stone
- Soaking Not Required
- Whetstone Size: 177 x 55 x 54mm (L x W x Th)
- Whetstone Weight: 1.13 kg
- Mined in Japan
* Please note there is a decent crack through the stone. This has been checked by Akimitsu San of Morihei and will not be a problem in use.
* You may want to lacquer this stone, currently not lacquered.
Japanese Sharpening Stones (Whetstones)
The consensus for sharpening Japanese kitchen knives, as well as Japanese woodworking tools, is the use of a whetstone. Dry grinding can affect temper (effectively ruining your knife or tool) and diamond plates are often too aggressive (removing too much material).
All Japanese whetstones will require flattening after use, no matter what type of stone, or the style of your sharpening, all whetstones will begin to dish over time. We recommend a ceramic flattening stone, or diamond plate for this task. For more info, check out Selecting a Japanese Whetstone.
* 1 Only, as Pictured.