Naniwa Gouken Arata is considered one of the best (Naniwa) stones for the western market... the performance of the renowned Chosera whetstone, without the extra costs associated with sourcing such a large packaged stone outside of Japan.
- Naniwa Gouken Arata Japanese Whetstone
- Thinner Version of Chosera - 15mm (Chosera is 25mm / Pro is 20mm)
- Grit: 3000 (Finishing)
- 210 x 70 x 15mm
- Soaking Not Required: "Splash and Go"
- Plastic Case / Base Included
- No Nagura Like Chosera is supplied with
- Professional Sharpening Stone / Whetstone
Japanese Sharpening Stones (Whetstones)
The consensus for sharpening Japanese kitchen knives, as well as Japanese woodworking tools, is the use of a whetstone. Dry grinding can affect temper (effectively ruining your knife or tool) and diamond plates are often too aggressive (removing too much material).
All Japanese whetstones will require flattening after use, no matter what type of stone, or the style of your sharpening, all whetstones will begin to dish over time. We recommend a ceramic flattening stone, or diamond plate for this task. For more info, check out Selecting a Japanese Whetstone.