Hand-crafted in Chiba Japan, Kogetsu knives are a high performing work-horse of outstanding value. Shirogami #1 steel (the sharpest) with stainless cladding for ease of maintenance. They are quite tall with a bit more weight behind them than most, they are still thin at the edge with good cutting performance. Their rustic appeal is something we personally love but keep in mind finish levels are a little lower than some, more than acceptable at this price.
- Kogetsu Japanese Knife
- Goko Hamono - Chiba, Japan
- 175mm Bunka Knife
- Shirogami (White) #1
- Soft Stainless Clad
- Nashiji Finish
- Oak Timber Japanese Handle
- Purpleheart Timber Ferrule
- Hand-Crafted in Japan
- 325mm Overall Length / 175mm Blade Edge Length / 2.9mm Blade Thickness / 55mm Blade Height / 159g
* As these knives are hand-made, small variation to size and colour may occur.
* The edge of this knife will change colour (patina) in use, it requires a small amount of care to prevent surface rust. This knife is stainless clad, so only the cutting edge is high carbon.
Japanese Kitchen Knife | Bunka (Home Cook Knife)
Also like it's larger cousin, the Gyuto, this is your go-to knife for any and all tasks within the kitchen. Generally Bunka knives are smaller in size than Gyuto, making them versatile in smaller home kitchens or for cooks with fledgling knife skills. Both styles of knife are multi-tasking machines that can be used for any and all cooking preparation tasks.
As is the case with most Japanese kitchen knives, the Bunka knife is thinner & lighter than other western chef knives, they are normally made from harder steel which can hold a sharper edge.