Crafted in Niigata Japan by renowned blacksmith Mutsumi Hinoura, our new Hinode lines are a meticulous stainless clad, shirogami workhorse. These knives are a more solid build with a bit more weight on the spine, a high performing knife that requires less ongoing maintenance than others at this (high) level.
- Hitohira Hinode Kurouchi Japanese Knife
- Mutsumi Hinoura Blacksmith (日野浦 睦)
- Sanjo-Niigata/ Japan
- 165mm Nakiri Knife
- Shirogami (white) #2, Soft Stainless Clad
- Ho Wood Handle, Buffalo Ferrule
- Hand crafted in Japan
- 152mm Blade Edge Length / 298mm Overall Length / 3.0mm Blade Thickness / 48mm Blade Height / 185g
* This Japanese knife is stainless clad with a high carbon core. The small high carbon steel section near the blade edge will change colour (patina) during use, some care is required to prevent surface rust.
* As our knives are hand-made (with natural materials like timber), small variation to size and colour may occur.
Japanese Kitchen Knife | Nakiri (Vegetable Knife)
Nakiri knives have a flat profile and tall blade height which aids in push chopping but does make rock style cutting a little uncomfortable. The Nakiri, like many western style chef knives has a double bevel grind, in contrast to the Japanese style vegetable knife, the Usuba, which is single bevel. Whilst a Gyuto or Santoku does do a good job at cutting vegetables, the larger flat bottom of a Nakiri or Usuba make the task much easier. The Nakiri is one of our favourite profiles, highly recommended.